1863 First Episcopal services are held in Irving Hall in Milford on May 17, conducted by Rev. Reese F. Alsop of St. John’s, Framingham. Occasional services held throughout the year by Rev. W.A. Hawkins, missionary at large. In December, Rev. Henry Adams of the Church Missionary Society of Massachusetts begins to hold regular Sunday services in Milford.
1864 Trinity Parish organized on March 13, and incorporated on April 11. Diocesan report says that 100 to 200 people attend regularly.
1865 Trinity admitted to the Diocese of Massachusetts. Twenty people sign the Parish Constitution. The first Wardens of Trinity Parish are Charles Dove, a boot-packer who was a native of England, and George Parker, a lawyer who went on to represent Milford in the Legislature.
1867 Present Church building built. First services held on November 29. The Church was originally built without the bell tower and steeple.
1871 Church consecrated on March 21 by the Bishop of Massachusetts, Right Rev. Manton Eastburn. Rev. Reginald Howe is Rector of Trinity. He is the son of Mark Anthony De Wolf Howe, first Bishop of Central Pennsylvania.
1877 The Hook and Hastings organ is dedicated. Completely restored in 1924 and again in the 1980s, in 2018 the Organ was respectfully retired, removed and placed in storage, awaiting a new home in the near future.
Late 1870s Bell tower added to Church.
1884-1895 Except for the years 1889 and 1890, J. B. Wicks is Rector of Trinity. Before he was in Milford, he helped educate David Pendleton Okerhater, the first Native American recognized in the church calendar, then returned with him to Indian Territory (Oklahoma), where he served as a Missionary for several years. During this time, Trinity surrenders its stipend from the Board of Missions, and becomes a self-supporting parish.
1895-1899 Harry S. Longley is Rector of Trinity. After leaving Trinity, he eventually becomes Bishop of Iowa.
1901 In June, the Diocese of Massachusetts votes to split. Trinity becomes the most easterly parish in the new Diocese of Western Massachusetts, based in Springfield.
1903 Trinity purchases the double house next to the Church, and remodels it to make it the Parish House and Rectory. Church is closed in July for repairs and renovations, including the addition of a narthex.
1903-1906 Rev. Walton S. Danker is Rector of Trinity. He goes on to serve at St. Johns, Worcester, then with the 104th Regiment, 26th Infantry Division during World War I.
1914 Debt on Parish House cancelled. Lights installed in nave.
On June 16, seven Armenian immigrants lose their lives in a fire on High and Cherry Streets in Milford. A memorial service is held at Trinity on June 21.
1917-1918 Forty-four men of Trinity serve in World War I. Nelson Maynard gives his life for his country.
In April, 1918, Rev. Walton Danker receives the Croix de Guerre from the Government of France. He is killed in action on June 18, the first American Chaplain to lose his life in battle during the War.
1928 Memorial service held for Rev. Danker, and the Altar Crucifix is given in his memory.
1930-35 Rev. H. Murray Elliott is Rector. Many Armenian families move to Milford, forming a large part of the parish community. Parish struggles with finances during the Depression.
1940 Rose window behind the altar given in memory of George W. Bent by his widow. You can click here for a larger picture of the window.
1941-1945 Ninety men and women of Trinity serve in the Armed Forces during World War II. Three members, William Griffith, Vartan Panagian and Francis Wallace, make the supreme sacrifice.
Early 1950s William Wrenn and Magar Bedrosian are presented for ordination from the parish.
1953 Miss Marjorie Fettig is one of six American members of the Girls Friendly Society invited to the coronation of Queen Elizabeth II by the British GFS.
1961-62 Old Parish House next to the Church is torn down, and the Lane Memorial Parish House, connected to the Church, is built. The bequest of George W. Lane, along with the contributions of others, funded the project. Mr. Lane was confirmed in Trinity Church in 1885, and served as Parish Clerk in the 1890s.
1964 Centennial of Trinity Parish. Anniversary service of Evening Prayer held on May 24. As far as possible, the service used the same psalms, lessons and hymns as were used in the dedication of the Church in 1871. The year-long celebration concluded on All Saints, November 1, when Confirmation was celebrated by Bishop Robert M. Hatch, followed by an anniversary dinner in the evening.
1972 Covenant signed between Trinity and St. Mary’s Roman Catholic church. The Milford Covenant is now the oldest active Anglican-Roman Catholic covenant in the world.
1975 George Warren becomes Rector of Trinity. Serving the parish until 1992, he becomes Trinity’s longest-serving Rector.
About 1975 Hip roof built over the flat roof of the Parish Hall, to solve leakage problems and to improve the appearance of the church.
About 1978 Altar moved away from wall under rose window to current position.
1989 125th Anniversary celebration. The Rite of Holy Communion from the 1789 Prayer Book, which was in use when the parish was founded, is used for one Sunday.
1991 Trinity joins with five other area churches to start the Daily Bread Food Pantry.
1992 Twentieth Anniversary of the Trinity-St Mary’s Covenant. In celebration, an Evensong is held at Trinity, attended by parishioners and clergy of both parishes and dioceses, including the Most Rev. Bernard Flanagan, retired Roman Catholic Bishop of Worcester, who was bishop when the covenant was formed.
1993 Annual Meeting approves a resolution to add two youth representatives, with full voting rights, to the vestry. At the same time, a resolution was presented to amend the Constitution and Canons of the Diocese of Western Massachusetts, to allow each parish to add a youth delegate and alternate to their Convention delegation. The resolution passed Convention two years in a row, and is now in effect.
1994 Working through the Episcopal Migration Ministries, Trinity and St Mary’s sponsor two families of Bosnian refugees, and help them settle in Milford. The effort required a great deal of coordination and cooperation between the parishes, and was perhaps the most notable achievement of the Covenant. The families — two brothers, their wives and children — are self-supporting members of the Milford community.
1997 Lay Eucharistic Visitors are commissioned by the Parish to bring Holy Communion to the homebound after Sunday services.
2000 The website is put in place, taking Trinity online.
2003 Trinity replaces the altar with one that is designed to be free-standing.
2005 After a two-year fundraising campaign, air conditioning is installed in the sanctuary.
2008 Janice Ford, formerly Trinity’s parish nurse, is ordained a priest by Bishop Scruton, and becomes Priest-in-Charge at the Church of the Reconciliation in Webster, MA.
2009 The first class of Stephen Ministers is commissioned, providing Christian caregiving to members of our congregation and community.
2010 The church steeple / bell tower, first installed in the 1872 was completely rebuilt using original materials (red cedar shingles) and modern plastic lumber for all the trim work. (see picture)
2012 Our rector’s sabbatical was funded by the Lilly Endowments’s Clergy Renewal Program. Fr. Mac’s sabbatical plan was complemented by SSJE led retreats for the congregation. The result of the sabbatical was a heightened focus on and response to the needs of the greater-Milford community.
2016 With an insurance settlement resulting from winter of 2015 ice dams, the entire roof of the church and parish hall were replaced, the Lane Chapel and Mary Moor room floors replaced and all the interior walls repaired. The vestry also decided to replace all the parish hall windows at the same time, in anticipation of a future capital campaign.
2017 Our rector’s second sabbatical provided a time for reflection and reassessment of the needs of our Trinity community and balancing our work in the world with the spiritual growth of our church family.
2017-2018 Trinity undertook a study of Capital needs in the summer of 2017 that resulted in a very successful Capital Campaign in early 2018.
2018 Air-conditioning was installed in the Parish Hall, Lane Chapel and the chancel / apse area of the church.
2018 The Hook and Hastings organ, which had served the church faithfully since it’s “Opening” on August 30, 1877, was removed and placed into storage awaiting its new home. Work has begun on preparing the church to receive its new organ later in the summer.
The 2005 Parish Profile is available here.